Prevent Virtual Training Session
Welcome to the Virtual Prevent Training. On this page and in the accompanying virtual briefing we will be covering the following Learning Outcomes, which are to:
- Raise awareness of what is meant by terrorism and extremism
- Recognise what may make someone more vulnerable to radicalisation
- Have a clearer understanding of the referral process and support for those vulnerable to radicalisation (Channel)
You should undertake this training as directed by your line manager and be aware of your own well-being. If you are upset by anything in this module you should seek support from your manager or a colleague.
What is Prevent?
Prevent is part of the UK counter-terrorism strategy named CONTEST. The aim of which is to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. Prevent addresses all forms of terrorism, but continues to prioritise according to the threat they pose to our national security.
At present, the majority of our resources and efforts will continue to be devoted to stopping people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. There is a commitment to protecting freedom of speech in this country. But preventing terrorism will mean challenging extremist (and non-violent) ideas that are also part of a terrorist ideology.
Prevent also means intervening to stop people moving from extremist groups or from extremism into terrorist-related activity. The Prevent strategy specifically:
- responds to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those
who promote it;
- prevents people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given
appropriate advice and support; and
- works with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation which need
to be addressed.
Before booking onto one of the courses below, you need to download and digest the pre-reading on Prevent and Radicalisation, to do this, click here
PLEASE NOTE: Each session will last no more than 1.5 hours, including Q&A time. To attend a virtual session click on the link below of the session you wish to attend