Concerned about a child
If a child or young person is at risk of harm, abuse or neglect please report it to the Wirral Integrated Front Door Team:
Mon-Fri, 9:00am – 5.00pm Tel: 0151 606 2008
Outside of these hours Tel: 0151 677 6557
E-mail: [email protected]
How to Make a Referral
Referrals are now made by completing an online form. There is a form for non-Council employees and a form for Council employees.
1. Non-Council Employees – professionals from partner agencies (i.e. those without a wirral.gov email address.
To access the form professionals from all partner agencies need to register on the Council system by following this link:
A guidance document for partner agencies is available here:
2. Council employees – (those with a wirral.gov email address) should follow this link:
A guidance document for Council staff is available here:
If at any time you believe a child is being harmed or at immediate risk of harm always dial 999.
IFD Service Specification (April 2019):
IFD Information Sharing Agreement (December 2018):
Crimestoppers – and discontinuation of the PAiR system
Merseyside Police have a nationwide Crimestoppers telephone number which colleagues from partner agencies and members of the public can use to report intelligence. Crimestoppers is well established and replaces the PAiR (Partnership Automated Intelligence Reporting) system which has now been discontinued.
Merseyside Police have published a short video about the decommissioning of the PAiR system and the use of Crimestoppers. It is designed for all multi-agency professionals and can be viewed below or downloaded to be used in agencies.
The Crimestoppers number is 0800 555 111 (website: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/). Crimestoppers can be used to report intelligence which will support action to combat CSE, such as information about suspected perpetrators. However, it must not be used to report safeguarding concerns about individual children. These must be reported to the Integrated Front Door (0151 606 2008) in line with safeguarding procedures.
Changes to Children’s Services Call Handling in the Local Authority
Following an update to the telephone system in the Local Authority, from Monday 18th September 2017 calls made to the Integrated Front Door on the 0151 6062008 number will be answered in a different way. Callers will be provided with four options:
- If you are worried about a child or young person who could be at risk of harm and would like to report your concerns please press 1
- If you would like to speak to a Children’s Social Care Worker in the First Response Team please press 2
- If you would like to speak to a Children’s Social Care Worker regarding an open case please press 3
- If your enquiry relates to fostering and adoptions please press 4.
The changes are designed to help direct callers quickly to the service they need. The 0151 6062008 number remains the number to phone with concerns about a child. The out of hours Emergency Duty Team number (0151 6776557) is also unchanged.