Re-launch of schools template drug policy and training
Policy Launch Date – Early October 2023:
The next edition to the policy will be available to all schools early October. In the revised school drug policy, there will be an additional section to VAPING that highlights guidance for schools and includes external links to resources and national guidance.
Information and guidance has been taken from The Office of Health Disparities & Improvement (Tobacco Control) North West. In recent months I have been part of a collective of professionals, led by OHID, to support the development of a vaping school policy framework for all North West schools.
Schools Vaping Policy Framework
The framework is primarily for: settings who work with children and young people, all Headteachers, school staff and governing bodies in maintained schools, academies, free schools, independent schools, sixth form colleges, Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) and other forms of alternative education provision. It can be tailored for use in primary schools. It will cover:
- Vaping as an adult quit aid
- Vaping in children and young people
- Vaping in children and young people – risks
- The role of schools – statutory duty
- Types of behaviour relating to vapes and vaping
- Searching, Screening and Confiscation
- Developing a Vaping Policy
- Vaping policy resources
- Disposal and safe storage
- Following up on vaping behaviour
- Working with other local agencies – Trading Standards / Police / Safeguarding
- Support for pupils to stop using vapes
- Cannabis / CBD/ THC
- Other illegal substances
- Incorporating vaping into a whole school approach
- Resources and training for Staff
- Resources to support pupils, staff, families and carers to quit smoking:
Staff Training: FREE to all Schools & Alternative Provisions
As a whole school approach and to ensure best practice for staff it is advised for schools to access their annual staff training package that includes:
- Vapes, school policy & guidance
- Drug awareness, school policy & guidance
- Christopher Winter Primary Resource (PSHE Curriculum)
All training will be delivered on site and is usually delivered within a staff inset day or team meeting.
Please email [email protected] to book in dates for training. Please be mindful allocation of training will be delivered on a first come first served basis.