About the WSCB
The Wirral Safeguarding Children Board
The Wirral Safeguarding Children Board (WSCB) is a statutory agency established by the Children Act (2004). The WSCB is a multi-agency partnership of organisations who agree how to work together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
The WSCB is responsible for ensuring safeguarding arrangements across partner agencies are robust and for testing how strong arrangements are. The WSCB undertakes a variety of work each year including:
- Publishing safeguarding policies and procedures for partner agencies
- Auditing safeguarding arrangements in individual agencies and collectively across the partnership
- Providing multi-agency training for the children’s workforce
- Undertaking reviews of cases, including Serious Case Reviews which are published on the website
- Raising awareness of safeguarding issues and priorities including child sexual exploitation, neglect of children, domestic abuse and radicalisation
- Promoting the message that the safeguarding is Wirral’s children and young people is Everyone’s responsibility
The safeguarding board is independent from all other agencies in Wirral and is led by an Independent Chair, Professor Maggie Atkinson
Operating Protocol and Structure of the WSCB
The Operating protocol terms of reference document can be accessed below:
The WSCB produces an annual report and work plan for the forthcoming year. It also publishes local safeguarding procedures and practice guidance to support agencies and professionals in the borough on arrangements for working with children, young people and their families.
WSCB Agency Leads
As part of the WSCB Multi-agency Escalation Procedure, escalations from partner agencies at Stage 3 require contact with the relevant agency lead from the WSCB. The contact details for WSCB agency leads are provided in the document below:
The WSCB delivers a 2 hour induction to the safeguarding board briefing on a quarterly basis. The induction is open to all members of the children’s workforce as well as WSCB members and those who attend committees. Details of the course and how to book a place can be found HERE.
The Powerpoint presentation used in the induction session can be accessed below: